As a separate certification standard, ISO 18587 defines the requirements for machine translation.
The content maps out the process orientation (project preparation, production and follow-up processing), as ISO 17100 does for translation services. Post-editors’ competence, qualifications and professionalism as well as the use of MT must comply with stringent demands.
ISO 18587 is carried out by LinquaCert in combination with audits according to ISO 9001 and/or ISO 17100. Translation service providers aspiring to become ISO 18587 certified should integrate relevant considerations relating to this standard into their existing process management:
- Amending the specialist fields and competencies of the post-editors in the vendor database
- Mapping out the post-editing workflows in the project management tool
- Developing and implementing any procedures required according to ISO 18587
- Systematising communication chains for post-editor feedback
- Testing text types and language combinations using various MT tools